Tuesday 7 February 2012

Wren

Wren by Pat MacInnes
Wren, a photo by Pat MacInnes on Flickr.

I don't do bird photography as a rule, but being outdoors most of my work days I do get to see all sorts of wildlife.

The journalist I was with today (Kev Wilmot, editor of Total Coarse Fishing magazine) was, in another life, the editor of a bird watching magazine so we have all sorts of talks about bird life through the day, really fascinating stuff.

He was telling me that wrens are the commonest UK bird and that many succumb to winter temperatures but nature always restore the balance. At that moment, out popped this little chap to feed on some maggots we had on the bait table.

Thankfully I had the 70-200 on the camera but out of 15 or so shots, I had three keepers - I can't get over how quickly these birds move, much faster than 1/125th could reliably freeze. Thank God that fishing isn't so fast-paced....

*Nikon D2x
*Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
*ISO 400
*1/125th @ f/5.6
*Processed in Lightroom 3

No comments:

Post a Comment