Tuesday 28 August 2012

REVIEW: Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S


I rented this lens as an addition to my own 70-200mm, simply because the event I cover (Evesham angling festival) requires me to get a lot of shots from across the river and at time, the 70-200mm just hasn't got the reach.

I rented this lens from Lensesforhire on a four-day rental for about £40 (plus return delivery costs).

The lens comes in a well-made, padded case that gives a snug fit around the lens and features a shoulder strap.

The lens came equipped with a high-quality UV filter for protection.

First impressions of the build quality are excellent; as solid a lens as I've handled, it's actually smaller than I thought (the same size as the 70-200mm) and marginally lighter. There's an integral lens hood that slides out and locks in place with a twist.

I used it with a D7000, which is felt well balanced with. The manual focus grip is tactile and very large so can be gravid easily (I use a lot of MF for video work).

AF for stills is precise and quick, as good as the 70-200mm. Absolutely no complaints at all in that department.

Image quality is top-notch as you can see below from the full shot and the crop I've done in Lightroom.

(EXIF: ISO 800, 1/800th @ f/5.6)





This shot was taken on a tripod (I was videoing at the same time) but even shooting handheld, without the aid of VR, which doesn't feature on this lens, I was getting sharp shots every time down to 1/200thsec. Of course, handling technique dictates how low you can go, not the lens, but the lens feel really easy to handle and promotes steady shooting at low shutter speeds.

I had to apply -15 AF fine tune adjustment but once that was applied, even at f/4 it was sharp. I wish I'd done a test at various apertures but as I write, it's in the post winging its way back to LFH.

I knew I'd like this lens going by the favourable reviews, but within minutes of using it I knew it would be a lens that I'd have to get at some point soon. I love zooms and it's peculiar using a telephoto prime where you're so limited in the angle of video, but as a lens to get you extra reach it's a very good option for very little money - 10/10 in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment