Tuesday 15 November 2011

There's more than one way to use a softbox....

I was having a bit of a catch up tonight, browsing some blogs and youtube tutorials about lighting. Anyway, via looking atsome high-speed flash stuff with Dave Black I happened upon this.



What the guy says from 5:20 is very interesting; basically, with speedlights you can actually make the softbox work differently depending on how you face the light source. Of course, studio strobes can't swivel but being a speedlighter this really interests me because I often use a speedlight set-up for shooting product.

I own a Westcott Apollo 28" that doesn't get anywhere near as much use as it should, and I can see some massive benefits from what's being shown when it comes to shooting products like fishing reels. The ability to tweak the final light without altering power levels (etc) could prove invaluable.

I'll keep you posted as and when I start having a play....

No comments:

Post a Comment