Sunday 6 November 2011

Geared Up!

There are a million and one gear-related web posts these days but seeing as this is my day job, I thought I'd show you what gear I use and why:

Cameras
I did my Uni degree on a range of cameras (35mm EOS 650/35mm Nikon FM2/Bronica ETRSi/Mamiya RB67/Cambo 5x4") but for work I've always gone down the (D)SLR route for ease of use. I was on Canon digital but when it came to shelling out for my own gear I went with Nikon, a decision that was born out of wanting better build quality and a more utilitarian interface.
I've gone from a D200 to a pair of D2x bodies that I still use today. Yes, they've old in DSLR terms and yes, they don't have half of the capabilities of some of this year's models. However, they are rugged and in weather that most people wouldn't even contemplate getting their cameras out in, these two just keep on working. I love the fact that many of the major functions are clickable via a button on the top-plate or on the rear - this helps massively in winter when wearing gloves - and was something that drew me to Nikon in the first place. Menu-based options just aren't for me because I have a memory like a sieve so trying to remember shortcuts and whatever just doesn't suit me.

Lenses
I've had all sorts over the past few years but I've now got my kit down to an amount that is both easy to carry (i.e. lightweight) and covers the majority of what I shoot. Currently, this is what's in my Lowepro Vertex 200:

*Nikon 70-200mm VR f/2.8
*Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
*Nikon 60mm AF-D f/2.8 macro
*Nikon 50mm f/1.8
*Sigma 14mm f/2.8

As you can see, I've gone for fast aperture lenses. yes, they invariably give the best image quality but the other advantage they offer is, what with the D2x having a limited high ISO option (800/1000 is useable), these fast lenses just help me out a little when the light levels drop.

I've had the 10.5mm fisheye, 85mm f/1.8 and the 80-200mm AF-D recently and all were brilliant but either didn't quite offer me what i wanted (the 85mm didn't get used enough, the 80-200mm had slow AF) or were too much of a novelty to be sat in the back in the case of the 10.5mm. That was kept for a year or so and produced some great images, but the money it generated was put to better use at home. Ah, the joys of home ownership.....

At the moments I really couldn't say what my favoiurite lens is, although the 17-55mm gets the most use because it's an allrounder.

What would I like? A 300mm, preferably the Nikon f/2.8 but i would baulk at the f/4 version. The 14-24mm also looks tasty. If I move to FX (which I will soon via a D3 hopefully) then something like the 24-70 will probably end up in my bag.

Flash
This is probably the one area where I've learned the most over recent years and it's where I can see myself spending more money quite soon. I currently have two SB-800s sat waiting to be repaired due to meetings with lakes and rivers, but I've just taken delivery of a new SB-700, which seems okay so far. I also have two SB-28s that work very well as off-camera units combined with Phottix Strato triggers. I use cheap foldable 40cm softboxes and a 28" Westcott Apollo and a few DIY mods.

I could go further into the memory cards, filters, batteries etc but I won't at the moment - these were all bought on price and nothing else so aren't anything fancy and just make me look like a tightarse!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment