Wednesday 7 March 2012

Portrait of a Space Ranger

Via Flickr:
Visited Focus On Imaging at the NEC this week and saw some really good talks on lighting, especially those dealing with portraiture. Now, I won't say I'm great at portraiture but it was, when I was training, something I really got into and it's something I still love today even though I rarely get a chance to do any.

One of the speakers, Damien Lovegrove, gave a really interesting demo on achieving a hollywood-style, 1940s look using continuous lighting. His results were stunning with really simple lighting. I wasn't in the mood to get soft boxes and shoots out tonight so thought I'd try something using light painting with my phone. Only a slight crop and a bit of a vignette have been added.

I did some shots with really shallow depth-of-field but it just looked too out-of-focus and lacked detail in the eyes so I upped the f-stop to f/11, knowing there would still be enough drop-off to give it a look somewhere near what i wanted.

You'll have the excuse the marks and dink on Buzz's face - this is my little boy's toy so gets thrown around all over the shop. Anyway, it's just a bit a bit of fun and it keeps me going :)

*Nikon D2x
*Nikon 60mm macro AF-D
*ISO 100
*25secs @ f/11

No comments:

Post a Comment